How can I grow my connection with God?

One of the most important aspects of growing closer to God is learning how to communicate with Him. But sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between your own thoughts, God's voice and the enemy's voice. I used to think that God's voice was always loud and stern, telling me to stop sinning and do better. But as I spent more time with Him, I realized that His voice is actually gentle and comforting, His voice fills me with peace, joy and confidence, while the enemy's voice tries to distract me, make me doubt and confuse me. And my own voice is often stuck in the middle, wondering "Is this really God? God, if this is you, give me another sign". The Bible says in Psalm 145:18, "The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth." And in Matthew 6:33, it says "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Here are some tips to help you strengthen your relationship with God.
1. Believe God desires to speak to you. Trust God with the process and be willing to learn at His pace. Set aside your expectations and let God know how much you want to hear from Him. Remember that He is your heavenly Father who loves you deeply. 2. Cultivate quiet. The world is a noisy, busy place, and so is our mind. When our thoughts race with too many concerns, we struggle to focus and listen. There are two dimensions of silence—external and internal. Physically, mentally, and emotionally, learn to be still. Waiting for God instead of allowing our thoughts and emotions to spiral helps us hear God more clearly. 3. Read the Bible as a conversation with God. The Bible is God’s Word to us. As we read, we are hearing from God as the Holy Spirit engages our minds, drawing our attention to particular concepts. Meditating on the truths God brings to our attention is a way of continuing the conversation. 4. Rely on the Holy Spirit to be your helper, teacher, and guide. The Holy Spirit speaks to us through conviction, comfort, and guidance. Be open to His promptings and trust that He will lead you.
5. Pray God’s Word. Use Scripture in your prayers. When you pray, incorporate verses that align with your situation or feelings. Let God’s Word shape your conversations with Him. 6. Ask God questions. Engage in a dialogue with Him. Ask for wisdom, clarity, and direction. Listen for His answers in your heart, mind, and circumstances. Be attentive to His voice and respond in obedience. 7. Journal your thoughts and impressions. What you hear from God can help you remember and reflect on His messages. It can also help you discern His voice from your own or others. Review your journal entries periodically and see how God has been speaking to you over time.
Communication is vital for any relationship, especially your relationship with God. You need to talk to Him regularly and share everything with Him, not just the serious things. You can tell Him about your plans, your struggles, your joys and your sorrows. You can say something like "Father, today I want to finish my module and all my assignments" or "Father, today I had a bad day, I know I didn't handle that conflict well, I was weak and I lost my temper - I pray that next time I can show more of your fruits of the spirit and represent your kingdom better". These small things matter a lot, they make your relationship stronger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do I crave a relationship so badly?

How do I stop being so available?