I the African Child (part 1 - Azania)


Young people are on the run there's no doubt about it. We are trying with everything we have to "make it" and one of the ways is by healing people emotionally through music and poetry. This month we celebrate heritage month and it's all about celebrating ones culture, tradition and heritage. I've always loved standing in front of other young people and doing a surname praise our parents used to do whenever they were happy or when we had a family gathering but I always failed because I didn't know all the words I had to say (what a disappointment).

Thato Radebe (AzaniaMa Blek) a poet that heals and educates people (young people in particular) through poetry. I love culture, I love my culture and I love how culture not only sets you different but gives you some sort of dignity. It allows you to stand out and be different, it also allows you to represent yourself and be proud about it. I didn't think in 2020 we had young people who were culturally inclined, I figured since we all trying to be "western" trying to follow the western culture then we didn't have young people who were culturally inclined to their crafts.

Poetry has always been that one thing that we run to when we feeling out of place, when we emotionally drained we turn to poetry to heal our souls. Can you imagine making a career out of this? Being a poet that uses their African language and isn't shy about it? 'if you love your craft, you patient, believe in it and willing to withstand the challenges that lie ahead then you can be a successful poet' said Thato.


Q: Why did you choose poetry? 
A: I would like to believe poetry chose me. I was very young when I started writing, I wrote to heal myself from my troubling thoughts and experiences I went through. I would also like to believe that I grew in my writing because of I exposed myself to writers like Lebo Mashile and many more who embraced ones identity and celebrating Africa as one unified continent through poetry.

Q: What kind of message are you trying to convey with your poems?
A: we should all accept our differences and learn to work with one another instead of against each other and that's what I mostly convey in my poems.

Q: Is there a future for young people like you who are poets that are using their African language? 
A: The future looks promising and I'm very optimistic about it.

Q:Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? 
A: I see myself and my current team operating in every province in this country educating young people about business art and developing youth skills.

The future is definitely promising and we all better start being optimistic about it. The past generation had Lebo Mashile we have Thato Radebe (AzaniaMa Blek) so it's safe to say we'll be ok, we'll still have culture reigning within our lifestyles in the next 10 years.

May this month not only remind you of who you are but may you take time to learn something about your culture (even if it's to learn a few words for that surname praise) take time to be proud of who you are. Poetry will forever heal us so listen to African poets who are not only embracing their cultures but also those who are healing and educating through poetry. Follow Thato Radebe on the socials @azaniamablek 

Poetry reigns!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do I crave a relationship so badly?

How can I grow my connection with God?

How do I stop being so available?