Dear Daddy Dearest: Almost Reflection

I'm humbled...I'm humbled by the thoughts I have of you, I'm humbled by how much dedication you had in raising me even though I wasn't biologically yours. My stepdad will forever be my superhero (even though I was angry at him and God because he left too soon but hey it is what it is) I can't imagine a better childhood than the one I had, being a princess was my mandate. I walked around with my friends with confidence knowing that I had the best toys ever (I'm laughing as I'm writing this because I make it sound like I owned the world, but it felt that way). My stepdad had kids before he met me and my mom but he still dedicated himself to raising me like his own. The scariest thing back than that my mom feared the most was me being raped by my stepdad because that was the common thing that was happening but my stepdad proved himself otherwise.

This year marks exactly 12 years since his passing, am I still angry and bitter? Well ya I feel like if he wasn't wrongfully arrested he'd still be here. I'm writing this not to complain about his passing and how I wish he was here but instead celebrate men that take it upon themselves to raise kids that are not biologically theirs. Men that choose to Love, honour, care for and respect children that are not theirs. I'm writing this since it's "men's" month (I know celebrating men is not appropriate right now especially because of what's going on in the country right now, gbv stats rising every single day) but just the other day I was sitting in God's presences and I was talking about my career and my future plans and i mentioned my future husband and I asked God that I hope he doesn't have a child because I don't have one (at that time it sounded ok because I felt like I'm protecting myself from "baby mama drama") but I was humbly reminded by God that I made it to my teen years going to a good school, well fed, well clothed and treated like a princess day in and day out simply because an honorable man decided to do my dad's duty whiles my dad preached what he didn't practice, he was there picking up the pieces.

We all have our standards, our deal breakers and deal makers but in those standards of yours before you set them first look at yourself, your life and how God has been graceful to you, then set them. Which ever way we choose to do things God will always humble us after all God calls us to practice humility at all times.

May all the good father's out there be recognized and celebrated. May we also learn to practice humility at all times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do I crave a relationship so badly?

How can I grow my connection with God?

How do I stop being so available?